Successful completion of the NMI Challenge Program for California Midwifery Licensure provides access to California licensure for midwives who have completed their clinical training and study and wish to qualify for the California licensing examination without graduating from an approved program.
Requirements for Licensure
The NMI Challenge Program is not equivalent to our Certificate Program. The cost of the Challenge Program is $7500. If a student changes programs within NMI, tuition does not transfer between the certificate program and the Challenge Program. To enroll, please Contact Us for an application.
Here are the requirements and process for the NMI Challenge Program for California Midwifery Licensure:
1. Previous completion of a formally sanctioned midwifery credential
The following credentials can be accepted.
A state-issued credential allowing the practice of midwifery
A national midwifery certification agency-issued credential (such as the NARM CPM/Certified Professional Midwife)
An ACNM-issued credential (CNM/Certified Nurse Midwife & CM/Certified Midwife
An international government-sanctioned midwifery credential
2. Fulfillment of midwifery didactic requirements
Complete National Midwifery Institute gap analysis process to confirm completion of academic midwifery requirements consistent with California Midwifery Practice Act. (B&P Code 2512.5 and 2513).
National Midwifery Institute administers a written examination to confirm the Midwife-Applicant’s comprehension of core midwifery knowledge and licensing requirements for California midwives. (B&P Code 2513)
Once the above are complete, National Midwifery Institute issues a CML-Challenge Program academic compilation transcript of completed didactic requirements.
3. Verification of the currency of experience requirements (CAB&PCode2513b and Title 16 1379.15)
All qualifying experience meets the currency definition of having occurred within ten years prior to the Midwife-Applicant’s date of application to the NMI CML-Challenge Program.
At least 50% of the qualifying experience meets the currency definition of having occurred within five years prior to the Midwife-Applicant’s date of application to the NMI Challenge Program for California Midwifery Licensure.All qualifying currency of experience is verified by a licensed physician and a licensed midwife (LM or CNM).
NMI issues a compilation transcript of clinical experience that confirms the verification of all currency requirements.
4. Fulfillment of minimum primary midwifery experience requirements (Title 16 1379.15c and B&P Code 2513b)
Clinical Experience Requirements for the NMI CML Challenge Program
Functioning in any role (observer, doula, family member, friend, beginning apprentice):
· 10 Observe Births
Functioning in the role of student-assistant midwife under preceptor-supervision:
· 20 Assist Births
· 22 Assist Prenatal exams
· 3 Assist Initial exams
· 20 Assist Newborn exams
· 10 Assist Postpartum exams
Functioning in the role of student-primary midwife under preceptor-supervision:
· 25 Births attended
· 55 Prenatal exams
· 20 Initial exams
· 20 Newborn exams
· 40 Postpartum exams
Of the 25 required Student-Primary under Preceptor-Supervision births, 10 must be with clients for whom the apprentice provided Continuity of Care, with at least:
· 1 prenatal exam in a student-primary or student-assisting role; and birth.
Of the 25 required Student-Primary under Preceptor-Supervision births, an additional 5 must be with clients for whom the apprentice provided Full Continuity of Care, with at least:
· 5 prenatal visits spanning two trimesters;
· Attendance at the birth;
· 1 newborn exam performed within 12 hours of the birth, and;
· 2 postpartum exams occurring between 24 hours and 6 weeks following the birth.
Other Experience Details Applicable to CML Challenge Applicants:
· A minimum of 5 out-of-hospital births must be attended in any role.
· A minimum of 2 planned hospital births must be attended in any role.
Experience currency qualifications: all qualifying experience must occur within ten years of the date of this application, and 50% of experience must have occurred within five years of the date of final application to the Medical Board of CA.
1) IV certification current at the time of the CML Challenge Written Examination; 2) Neonatal Resuscitation (NRP), current at the time of the CML Challenge Written Examination, and; 3) Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation/Basic Life Support (CPR/BLS), current at the time of the CML Challenge Written Examination
All qualifying experience is verified by both a licensed physician and a licensed midwife (LM or CNM).
NMI issues a compilation transcript of clinical experience that itemizes completed, verified clinical experience in compliance with minimum primary midwifery experience requirements.
Please download the Application and Initial Forms for further details. And thank you for your interest in the NMI CML Challenge!