*NOTE: NMI's Study Group module formatting guidelines specify that students provide the text of each question, followed by a blank line and then their response. Sometimes cutting and pasting from the above pdf version causes formatting issues in your word processing document. If this occurs, please use this Microsoft Word version of the module for easier cutting and pasting.
Anatomy and Development
- http://www.innerbody.com/image_digeov/card10-new2.html - Interactive illustrations and limited text
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK27068/ - Liver Development
- http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/medicalpubs/diseasemanagement/hepatology/liver-disease-in-pregnancy/ - Liver Disease in Pregnancy
- http://livertox.nih.gov - Clinical and research information on drug-induced liver injury (includes other substances, too)
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK6005/ - Madame Curie Bioscience Database : The Liver in Normal Pregnanc
- http://biomed.brown.edu/Courses/BI108/BI108_2002_Groups/liver/webpage/intro.html - Bioartificial liver website, with normal liver anatomy illustration and limited text, and photos of livers that have been removed due to disease
Nutrition and Herbs
- http://www.nutrition.gov/ - Nutrition details of foods, discussion of nutrients
- http://www.icpcare.org/managing-symptoms/healthy-diet/ - Nutritional produce list of “Dirty Dozen” and “Clean Fifteen” plus nutritional advice for supporting liver function, referencing source: American Liver Foundation
- http://naturaldatabase.therapeuticresearch.com/home.aspx?cs=CE_NODEACT&s=ND&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1 - Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25977055 - Pyrrolizidine alkaloids in herbal teas for infants, pregnant or lactating women.
- http://www.itmonline.org/arts/pas.htm - Safety Issues Affecting Herbs: Pyrrolizidine Alkaloids
- http://nlfindia.com - National Liver Foundation of India, Illustrations and text with details about nutrition and function (“Special Population” focuses on pregnant women, with a distinct difference in tone from what we see in the U.S.)
- http://avivaromm.com/ - Aviva Romm's herbal medicine blog and recipes; search “milk thistle” and “dandelion”
- http://natural-fertility-info.com/prepare-for-conception - Natural Fertility Info, includes details on liver cleanse in preparation for pregnancy and advises against liver cleanse in pregnancy and during breastfeeding; provides list of herbs for support of liver and support of pregnancy
- http://natural-fertility-info.com/herbal-teas-preconception-pregnancy.html - "Nutritive Herbal Teas for Preconception through Pregnancy"
Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy (ICP)
- https://c.deic.dk/p39omu0f2k3/?launcher=false&fcsContent=true&pbMode=normal - Presentation for IDM, on “Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy: What Midwives Need To Know” by Sarah Hunter CPM, Canada. (free: online recording, 45 minutes) extremely detailed, motivated by her personal experience with ICP, presentation includes details not readily available in the textbooks. Details about effective nutritional support for liver, ICP. A main point: Serum Bile Acid Test is stated here to be diagnostic while liver panel is supportive but not diagnostic.
- Sarah Hunter also cites support groups for Intrahepatic Cholestais by emailing email@example.com and visiting https://www.facebook.com/groups/icpsupport
- ICP Care Online: http://www.icpcare.org/for-providers/icp-overview/ and http://www.icpcare.org/for-providers/literature
When you have completed this module, please provide us feedback!