Anatomy and Development
- http://www.innerbody.com/image_digeov/card10-new2.html - Interactive illustrations and limited text
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK27068/ - Liver Development
- http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/medicalpubs/diseasemanagement/hepatology/liver-disease-in-pregnancy/ - Liver Disease in Pregnancy
- http://livertox.nih.gov - Clinical and research information on drug-induced liver injury (includes other substances, too)
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK6005/ - Madame Curie Bioscience Database : The Liver in Normal Pregnanc
- http://biomed.brown.edu/Courses/BI108/BI108_2002_Groups/liver/webpage/intro.html - Bioartificial liver website, with normal liver anatomy illustration and limited text, and photos of livers that have been removed due to disease
Nutrition and Herbs
- http://www.nutrition.gov/ - Nutrition details of foods, discussion of nutrients
- http://www.icpcare.org/managing-symptoms/healthy-diet/ - Nutritional produce list of “Dirty Dozen” and “Clean Fifteen” plus nutritional advice for supporting liver function, referencing source: American Liver Foundation
- http://naturaldatabase.therapeuticresearch.com/home.aspx?cs=CE_NODEACT&s=ND&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1 - Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25977055 - Pyrrolizidine alkaloids in herbal teas for infants, pregnant or lactating women.
- http://www.itmonline.org/arts/pas.htm - Safety Issues Affecting Herbs: Pyrrolizidine Alkaloids
- http://nlfindia.com - National Liver Foundation of India, Illustrations and text with details about nutrition and function (“Special Population” focuses on pregnant women, with a distinct difference in tone from what we see in the U.S.)
- http://avivaromm.com/ - Aviva Romm's herbal medicine blog and recipes; search “milk thistle” and “dandelion”
- http://natural-fertility-info.com/prepare-for-conception - Natural Fertility Info, includes details on liver cleanse in preparation for pregnancy and advises against liver cleanse in pregnancy and during breastfeeding; provides list of herbs for support of liver and support of pregnancy
- http://natural-fertility-info.com/herbal-teas-preconception-pregnancy.html - "Nutritive Herbal Teas for Preconception through Pregnancy"
Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy (ICP)
- https://c.deic.dk/p39omu0f2k3/?launcher=false&fcsContent=true&pbMode=normal - Presentation for IDM, on “Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy: What Midwives Need To Know” by Sarah Hunter CPM, Canada. (free: online recording, 45 minutes) extremely detailed, motivated by her personal experience with ICP, presentation includes details not readily available in the textbooks. Details about effective nutritional support for liver, ICP. A main point: Serum Bile Acid Test is stated here to be diagnostic while liver panel is supportive but not diagnostic.
- Sarah Hunter also cites support groups for Intrahepatic Cholestais by emailing email@example.com and visiting https://www.facebook.com/groups/icpsupport
- ICP Care Online: http://www.icpcare.org/for-providers/icp-overview/ and http://www.icpcare.org/for-providers/literature
When you have completed this module, please provide us feedback!