Explore our links and resources to find out about midwifery, childbirth education, doulas, breastfeeding and advocacy.
Midwifery as a Career: Resources for Aspiring Midwives
- "About Becoming a Midwife" - article from Colorado Midwives Association
- "I Am A Midwife" - video series at MANA.org exploring the value of midwifery care
State Midwifery Organizations
- California Association of Midwives - CAM’s mission is to educate California families and increase access to patient-centered, evidence-based midwifery care
- California Association of Licensed Midwives - California Association of Licensed Midwives (CALM), born 2016, is here to midwife and attend to the professional, legislative, and policy needs of California Licensed Midwives. CALM’s mission is to value and strengthen the profession of California licensed midwives through advocacy and training.
- MANA.org - MANA maintains a state-by-state listing of midwifery associations here.
"I feel NMI is available always for any questions or concerns." ~ an NMI student
- American College of Community Midwives - A professional organization for community midwives
- Black Mamas Matter Alliance - A Black women-led cross-sectoral alliance. We center Black mamas to advocate, drive research, build power, and shift culture for Black maternal health, rights, and justice.
- Citizens for Midwifery - A national consumer-based group promoting the Midwives Model of Care
- Coalition for Improving Maternity Services - A coalition of individuals and national organizations with a mutual concern for the care and well-being of mothers, babies, and families
- International Childbirth Education Association - A professional organization that supports educators and health care professionals who believe in freedom to make decisions based on knowledge of alternatives in family-centered maternity and newborn care
- International Center for Traditional Childbearing (ICTC) - A non-profit infant mortality prevention, breastfeeding support, and midwife training organization, comprised of women and men who want to improve birth outcomes and provide training opportunities in their communities.
- Midwifery Education Accreditation Council - MEAC's mission is to promote excellence in midwifery education through accreditation. It creates standards and criteria for the education of midwives
- Midwives Alliance of North America - A professional membership organization that promotes excellence in midwifery practice, endorses diversity in educational backgrounds and practice styles, and is dedicated to unifying and strengthening the profession, thereby increasing access to quality health care and improving outcomes for women, babies, families, and communities
- North American Registry of Midwives - A certification organization administering the Certified Professional Midwife (CPM) credential
- US MERA - US MERA is a coalition comprised of representatives of national midwifery associations, credentialing bodies and education accreditation agencies: its goal is to increase access to high quality and culturally relevant midwifery care.
Classes and Trainings
- Heart & Hands Midwifery Intensives - In-person and distance learning intensives offered by Elizabeth Davis. The purpose of the Heart & Hands Midwifery Intensives course is to provide students with a strong and integrated foundation in the art and science of midwifery.
- Karen Strange AAP/NRP - Karen teaches the traditional AAP/NRP course of completion material, while incorporating published research regarding neonatal resuscitation.
- Spinning Babies - Easier birth with fetal positioning.
- Midwife Archives - The Midwife Archives is a collection of information about all aspects of pregnancy, birth and well-woman care from a midwifery perspective. Compiled and maintained by Ronnie Falcão, a homebirth midwife in Mountain View, California.
- Midwifery Matters - A peer-reviewed biannual journal of research and evidence-based information for out-of-hospital midwives, published by Birthwise Midwifery School
- Midwifery Today Online - A quarterly journal for midwives, nurses, doulas, childbirth educators, doctors, parents, parents-to-be, and anyone who wants to learn more about pregnancy, labor, and birth.
- Childbirth And Postpartum Professional Association - An international certification organization for Doulas, Childbirth Educators and Lactation Educators.
- Doulas of North America International - An international, non-profit organization of doulas that strives to have every doula trained and educated to provide the highest quality and standards for birth and/or postpartum support to birthing women and their families.
- toLabor (formerly Association of Labor Assistants and Childbirth Educators) - toLabor is an international birth doula training and certifying organization that has its roots deep in the midwifery model of care and evidence-based practices
- La Leche League International - An international, nonprofit, nonsectarian organization dedicated to providing education, information, support, and encouragement to women who want to breastfeed.
- Waterbirth International / Global Maternal Child Health Association - Waterbirth International was founded in 1988 with one purpose in mind: "To make waterbirth an available option for all women."
- The American Public Health Association - "APHA champions the health of all people and all communities. We strengthen the public health profession. We speak out for public health issues and policies backed by science."
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - The CDC is one of the major operating components of the Department of Health and Human Services.
- World Health Organization - "Our goal is to build a better, healthier future for people all over the world. Working through offices in more than 150 countries, WHO staff work side by side with governments and other partners to ensure the highest attainable level of health for all people."
Contact us if you've got a link to suggest, or if you find a broken link.