*NOTE: NMI's Study Group module formatting guidelines specify that students provide the text of each question, followed by a blank line and then their response. Sometimes cutting and pasting from the above pdf version causes formatting issues in your word processing document. If this occurs, please use this Microsoft Word version of the module for easier cutting and pasting.
Anatomy and Development
- http://www.innerbody.com/image/urinov.html - Urinary system: 2- and 3-dimensional models
- https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/Renal_System_Development - Renal System Development
- https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/Renal_System_-_Abnormalities - Renal System – congenital variations including Horseshoe Kidney, Obstructive Renal Pelvis Defect, Renal Agenesis, Renal-Adrenal Fusion, Triad Syndrom, Polycystic Kidney Desease, Nephroblastoma, Ranal Cysts
- http://www.healthline.com/human-body-maps/female-urethra - Layered illustration of female anatomy surrounding the urethra
- http://www.news-medical.net/health/What-is-the-Urethra.aspx - Basic side by side illustration overview of renal system in female and male anatomy
- https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/3n0l2x/why_are_some_drugs_metabolized_in_the_liver_while/ - Brief overview of the functional processing of drugs metabolized by liver and kidneys
- http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/clinical-pharmacology/pharmacokinetics/drug-excretion - Renal excretion of drugs
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1477449 - Contribution of the human kidney to the metabolic clearance of drugs
- http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/20/1/14.full - Journal for the American Society of Nephrology, "Pregnancy and the Kidney, research exploring questions about renal function, nutritional support, preeclampsia, renal disorders in pregnant women"
- http://www.livestrong.com/article/139350-adrenal-glands-kidneys/ - Information about Adrenal Glands & Kidneys
- http://ecsimplified.com - Andrea Olson and Go Diaper Free, podcast, information
Urinary System Explanation
Urinary system - Human Body; Zameer Inamdar, animated explanation of renal system and basics of function
Demonstration of catheter insertion using a plastic classroom model
Foley Catheter Demonstration
Demonstration of sterile field and set-up in preparation for foley catheter, interesting detail explained during demonstration
When you have completed this module, please provide us feedback!